Monday 5 December 2011

Paul's Bass-Tastic Session!


We turned up at Calshot Beach private section at around 8pm on the 25th November, the high tide was not due until 11:20 so we fished the tide up and not a lot happened for the first hour, I managed to catch one Dogfish then a Whiting and a small Pollock, then at last the bass turned on for me.

I say me because Tim and Chris were still fishless, then for the next hour I had 3 bass around the 43cm mark then a nice one at 3lb 10ozs



 My last Bass turned out to be the best one of the session and well worth the wait! It pulled the scales round to 6lb 14ozs!



Chris missed 2 bites I think were bass but Tim blanked with not so much as a sniff of his baits, I did take much joy in showing my fish off to Tim who I think at this point was crying inside...and Chris was more than happy with the trip learning something new and even though he blanked he has now seen a new way of fishing and will be more prepared in the future.




  
My simple rig for Bass has proved to be very effective over the years. I use a running rig with a strong clear 28lb fluorocarbon hook link baited with Mackerel. 28lb sounds excessive but if you get snagged up fluoro lines can be quite brittle hence the high breaking strain.
The maximum lead I used on this session was a 3oz lead.